Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Low Art

Given the amusing hubbaloo over the nickname "Scalito" for Judge Alito, it is probably worth pointing out that Mr. Drudge has his Romance languages confused. The diminutive -ito is a Spanish thing; it would be -ino if it were an Italian crack. N and T are not the same letter, but the alphabet is awfully difficult, I sympathize.

The worst of it is that now I feel the urge to use "Scalito" as a point of solidarity with my wordplay brethren. It is a lame, lame pun.

Still, it's less emasculating than some of the nicknames the President uses, though I guess he has to be given props for the sheer chutzpah to call Vladmir Putin "Pootie-Poot". That's right: Vladmir Putin, probably our most unnerving ally, is a piece of ass.

I am disturbed by the President's apparent fondness for calling people "Big O", (Paul O'Neill and Olympia Snowe), however. I wonder if anyone's told him what it means.

I really don't want to know why so many people seem to remind Mr. Bush of semi-obscure naughty slangterms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home